Assessing Quality: Design, Content, Engagement
- Students could be asked what features specifically supported and detracted from their learning and how they would design the learning object to be more effective.
- Students who like a subject may be more open to new ways of learning concepts.
- A learning object used exclusively as a motivational or demonstration tool, might not have as much an effect as a learning object used to teach a new concept.
Kay, R. H., & Knaack, L. (2009). Assessing learning, quality and engagement in learning objects: The learning object evaluation scale for students (LOES-S).Educational Technology, Research and Development, 57(2), 147-168. Retrieved from http://eres.regent.edu:2048/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.regent.edu/docview/218021017?accountid=13479
Assessing Quality: Teaching and Faculty Development
Here are five strategies utilized by The American Public University System (APUS) to “promote a culture of assessment, continuous improvement, and data-based decision making.” (Shattuck 2014)
Shattuck, K. (2014). Assuring quality in online education: practices and processes at the teaching, resource, and program levels. Sterling,, VA: Stylus.
Strategy #1: Develop a Program Review Committee
- Implement a program review process
- Compare the program to similar programs at other institutions
- solicit input from outside stakeholders
Strategy #2: Document Student Learning Outcomes
- Average class size
- Standardized testing
- Book Costs
Strategy #3: Inform Stakeholders About Student Learning Outcomes
- Transparency by Design project (TbD)
- College Choices for Adults
- Principles of Good Practice for Higher Education Institutions Serving Adults at a Distance
Strategy #4: Establish a Reciprocal Relationship Among Stakeholders and the Institution for the Sharing of Data
- Community of Inquiry (Col)
- Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE)
Strategy #5: Incorporate Assessment Data Into Daily Decision-Making Processes
- Consider constituent feedback
- Respond to student feedback
- Provide the public with evidence of student success